- Left Oamaru and took bus to Christchurch. Holly was the closest to being carsick that she's ever been.
|Saying goodbye to the New Zealand countryside|
- Arose before the sun, trying to be painstakingly quiet and sneak out of our shared 10x10 room without waking our hosts.
- Caught the bus to catch the bus, which took us to Picton.
- Got ferry, watched terrible movie on the ferry, arrived in Wellington.
Congress building in WellingtonTook bus as close as we could to our couchsurfing destination, super kind woman exiting the bus drove us up the final huge hill.
- Knocked on door.
- Ten minutes later, still knocking on the door before someone finally opened it. Everyone inside was quite high.
- After dumping our bags, Holly laid down and Randy went to get food
Woke up early again, walked down the giant hill to the bus.
- Took the bus to our bus.
- Rode all day long.
- Drove through Rotorua, a town with lots of geothermal activity. We'd wanted to try out the hot springs, but we never had time. It was interesting to see residents harnessing the geothermal energy to heat their homes.
- 10 hours later, arrived in Auckland.
- Jaye, our previous friendly couchsurfing host, picked us up at the station.
- Visited a bit and then passed out.
- Made more delicious burgers.
- Were sad these were our last cheap grass-fed NZ burgers.
- Woke up excruciatingly early.
- Jaye kindly took us to the airport at 4 a.m.
- Were on our way to Sydney, and even though it was only a 3 hour flight. Quantas gave us breakfast.
- Had a lovely flight to Bangkok, once again enjoying the perks of international flight.
- Shuffled items around so our bags were just barely under the weight limit.
- On our way to Singapore.
- Had a 12 hour layover at Changi airport in Singapore, and had to wait a few hours before we could check in because it was 1 a.m.
- Tried to sleep on the most awkwardly uncomfortable airport bench seats EVER.
Finally were able to check in, and were blown away by how awesome the actual terminals are.
- Checked out the rooftop sunflower garden.
- Meandered through other beautiful airport gardens.
- Used free internet.
- Checked out the free video game lounge.
- Finally boarded our flight to Denpasar, Bali.
- Arrived in Denpasar, Holly stayed with our stuff while Randy tried to find the Etihad airline office to switch our future tickets.
- It was wicked hot and we both desperately needed to change into shorts in the bathroom.
- Bought some fresh pineapple juice to cool down.
- Outside a huge crowd of “taksi” guys were vying for our business, but we had been told to go to the official taxi stand.
- Were soon in a taxi, glad not to be in charge of navigating the insane traffic, on our way to Kerobokan, our first volunteering gig.